Lab 1: Image Project via Atlas Dwyer

Dwyer, Atlas. Froyo. 28 August 2023. Author’s personal collection.

Content description: Selfie 1. I took this selfie while my friend and I were at the local froyo place for the first time, and I thought I looked okay in the picture so I kept it. I got this hat and shirt from a couple of places where I used to live, so they’re pretty simple in color and design but meaningful to me still. I liked the background of the image because it provided a nice, neutral backtone to my face while still seeming pleasant to the eye.

Dwyer, Atlas. Self-made magnet. 28 August 2023. Author’s personal collection.

Content description: Selfie 2. I actually don’t have any selfies prior to this year and felt like I needed to build more of a background for the project, so I decided to just go a different route and use an old photo that was taken of me around the time I was 8 or 9. This was just a routine science experiment at home, where I’d take something random and try to create something new to keep myself interested. I think this picture is of me after I tried to make a magnet in a tube, which was pretty successful if I remember correctly. I try to cultivate this kind of attitude in college, too. I always try to do something new or create a new project wherever I am, and don’t really let stuff impede my creative spark. The essence of myself here hasn’t really shifted in the last 12-13 years, so I liked this one as my second selfie.

Dwyer, Atlas. Temple to the Self. 28 August 2023. Author’s personal collection.

Image description: Selfie 3. This last selfie has two main foci: a gift that my friend recently gave me (the stone carving from an Indian temple in my hand), and my bulletin board full of notes, papers, and pictures from the last couple of years written (or taken) by people who mean very much to me. This image doesn’t have me in it, but I still feel as though this selfie is very much full of “me” anyway. Even the Spiderman poster has good memories attaches to it, and everything in this photo represents a time or period that has made me who I am today.

One thought on “Lab 1: Image Project via Atlas Dwyer

1. I really like your second picture because it shows your youth. It shows the creative mind of you and how interesting of a person you are. I like how you were able to choose a photo that speaks so much on the importance of remembering your roots and your good old days.I would like to know what were you trying to create!