Digital Detox Mara Radovic

I decided to do a medium level of digital detox. I plan to delete two of my social media: TikTok and Instagram. I wanted to challenge myself, therefore I picked two platforms that I use the most. My plan is to decrease the screen time after this week, and hopefully, I will become more aware of how unnecessary they are to use every day for abnormal amounts of time. I am looking forward to this challenge and it will be interesting to try something I have not tried before. I feel this will be very nice since I will have more free time, that I will use for socializing, hobbies, and other things that bring joy to me.

Digital Detox Reflection

Deleting two social media platforms over the weekend was a big challenge. Especially, because I decided to do a medium hard level and delete my favorite platforms, TikTok and Instagram, that I use the most. I use them often in the mornings, during the day and even before going to sleep. At the beginning I found it very difficult, however as the time was going, I started being more aware of how addicted I am to them. Therefore, I was very focused on achieving this goal, and proving myself that I can do some other things besides using my phone. I had a whole weekend to spend without using these two social medias. Firs time where I felt I need them was Saturday morning. Unfortunately, the first thing I look at in the morning is usually TikTok, however this Saturday morning was different since I knew I cannot use it. To be in honest, that made me very frustrated and annoyed however soon after I decided to that I should get up and have a productive morning.  I decided to start doing some homework ahead and planning the rest of my semester. Throughout the day I almost forgot about TikTok and Instagram because I spent a lot of time with my friends, and I found myself more present everything I do with them. I knew that some hobbies and activities would help me increase my social time. So, the next day I planned on spending the time at the gym. This helped me a lot because I have not thought about my phone almost at all.  On Sunday night I checked my screen time, and it was already way lower than it is usually. here were couple of times where I almost downloaded them back, just because I was bored, and it seemed very weird laying down in bed and not scrolling Instagram or TikTok. But I knew that would be a huge failure, so anytime I would feel like I need them I go and hang out with my friends, where I know I am always welcomed, or do some things for myself, such as organizing my clothes and cleaning the room. I am so happy that I succeed and finished digital detox at the time I planned. This helped me become more aware of my relationship with digital media. After this detox, I feel like I will never be as addicted as I was. Writing this reflection helped me realize all the ups and downs of the digital detox experience. In overall, I am very happy how digital detox went for me, and proud of being able to complete it and finish it. This was a very valuable reminder of the importance of balance in my digital life and positive outcomes that can arise from digital breaks.