Digital Detox Plan Quinn

By: Quinn Niblock

For my digital detox, I intend to limit myself to the medium option given by the presenters, although I would like to modify it slightly. I will give myself 5 hours of total screen time, however, only an hour of it can be on my phone, and no digital media can be consumed on my phone. I intend to do this by leaving my phone off my person as much as possible and spending my weekend primarily working on homework and spending time outside or in the gym.,

Reflection:
I did meet my goals for the detox, primarily due to a football tournament that consumed much of my day on Sunday and left me so exhausted I did not even have the energy to scroll TikTok. I spent my reclaimed time primarily working on homework and sleeping. I did struggle on Saturday, especially during the morning. One thing the detox has helped me notice is my tendency to use my phone in tandem with oversleeping. Effectively wasting time in the morning due to a lack of obligations. However, other than this specific instance, I found it relatively easy to stay off of digital media by leaving my phone in my dorm room and spending time outside playing sports, at the gym, and meeting up with friends. I had one instance with a group of friends in which none of us used our phones, except to change music on a speaker for around 2-3 hours. This was an exceptionally good experience and I had a noticeable boost in my mood after this.